Are you out in the sun a lot? Prefer using products with anti-aging ingredients? Like something lightweight and oil-free? These are some of the questions I’m sure you’ve thought about when choosing a moisturizer with SPF in it. It might feel daunting but you absolutely can find what you’re looking, as long as you don’t forget to make sure the box says SPF is included in it. Bonus points if it’s broad spectrum. So, how do we go about picking the right moisturizer with SPF that’s right for us?
First thing’s first.. you should be wearing a moisturizer with a minimum of SPF 30 every day, especially in the summer. In this post I’ve included two moisturizers I’ve been loving lately from Olay that have recently been revamped to include broad spectrum SPF 30. They offer me what I look for in a moisturizer with SPF and I’ll use them as an example of what to look for when picking the right one for you.
- Dry skin? Look for ingredients like hyaluronic acid and niacinamide. These ingredients will help your skin maintain its moisture levels so your skin stays hydrated throughout the day. A richer moisturizer will ensure that your skin is always soft and supple.
- Normal skin? You’ve pretty much got it made (I envy you!) because you can use any type of moisturizer. A lighter cream would be a great fit for your skin type and remember to pay attention to any changes in how your skin feels or looks and find products that help with those concerns.
- Sensitive skin? You will want to steer clear of moisturizers with fragrance, lanolin, alcohol, and artificial mineral oils. They can irritate your skin and be too much for you to handle. Look for ingredients like calendula, chamomile, or anything more natural or plant-based, which will help heal and soothe irritation and inflammation.
- Oily or acne prone skin? Check the box to ensure the moisturizer is non-comedogenic. This means that the product won’t clog your pores and cause blackheads to pop up. It’s also best to go with a lightweight lotion that has silicone ingredients in it like dimethicone, which will help calm your skin and keep it moisturized.
- Need something anti-aging? If you can spot peptides in the ingredients list, then you know your skin will be reaping the benefits of smoother skin over time. Antioxidants are also a key ingredient to look for because they help with fine lines and keep your skin looking youthful.
When should you apply moisturizer with SPF? At least 15 minutes before sun exposure. If you’re going to be outside or near a window, you should also be applying a sunscreen two hours after applying the moisturizer so you’re still staying protected from getting burnt.
L-R: Olay Total Effects 7 Moisturizer with SPF 30 & Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream with SPF 30
The updated Olay Total Effects 7 Anti-Aging Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30 ($24 / 50ml / Available at Mass Retailers) not only protects my skin from UVA/UVB rays, but it also includes a vitamin rich complex that helps keep the skin looking healthy and rejuvenated. It offers 7 benefits that help with age spots, dryness, lines & wrinkles, uneven skin tone and texture, dullness and pores. Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream with SPF 30 ($24 / 50ml / Available at Mass Retailers) offers a bigger boost of anti-aging benefits because it uses an advanced amino-peptide complex that helps to visibly reduce the appearance of wrinkles and helps firm the skin over time.
Not only do they protect my skin from the sun but they help ensure that I’m taking the best care of my skin as I enter my 30’s. I get paranoid about wrinkles that are starting to set in and I love that these moisturizers are packed with vitamins and antioxidants, and are also very lightweight.
What’s your favourite moisturizer with SPF right now? Do you switch between a couple throughout the year or prefer sticking to just one?! Share your thoughts below!
Disclosure: These products were provided as per my affiliation with P&G’s Beauty United, however these opinions are my own.